Saturday, March 24, 2007

I am now officially awesome (or, Close as a Blade)

For a couple of years I have contemplated shaving with a safety razor, but have been too afraid to try it. I'm not one to follow trends, but the re-emergence of wet shaving is one that really piqued my interest. I read all the articles reassuring me that so long as I was careful, I would come through the shaving process without that many nicks or cuts. Considering that I pretty much always cut myself with "traditional" (that is, cartridge or disposable) razors, I figured that switching over would end with my lying dead on the bathroom floor in a pool of chin blood.

Well, I finally cashed in my guts certificates and went out and bought the whole mess:
  • An Omega shaving brush (LE 6.25)
  • A LORD safety razor, made in Alexandria! (LE 4.35)
  • A tube of herbal shaving cream (LE 2.70)
Following instructions as best as I could, I took a shower, lathered my face up, and hesitantly ran the blade down my face...

(dramatic pause)

...long story short, I'm happy to say that not only is my face clean-shaven, I have managed to avoid cutting myself! The only real drawback--the shave is not as close as I would like, but the overall effect is pretty good.

It's still probably something I won't be trying first thing in the morning, but I am happy to say that it is definitely how I am going to be keeping my chin hair-free for the forseeable future.

3 comments:

Toby said...

It should be said that, as far as cutting himself during shaving is concerned, the fact Jordan escaped unscathed is pretty amazing. He cuts himself regularly shaving with standard razors back home...

Heena Reiter said...

very interesting.
how about what it's like living in Cairo, Egypt?

nuh ibn zbigniew gondek said...

As salaam alaikum.

I am a Canadian Muslim writer -- I just happened to surf onto your site today.

Come by my blog insha'Allah if you have an interest in poetry, reflections, fiction etc...

Ma'as salaama,

nuh ibn