Sunday, May 6, 2007

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH



This is why I haven't posted lately.


So, I tripped over my laptop cord and it fell on the ground and you can see what happened to the screen--it cracked.


I'm a bit upset about it.


I've gotten over my grieving period and I'm starting to figure out what to do to solve the problem. Fortunately, it looks like replacing the LCD screen itself is fairly easy, although getting the screen shipped to Egypt may be a bit tricky. For right now I'm going to hook my laptop up to a keyboard and monitor. There's just one problem:

One the right, you see the video output. It's called Mini-VGA, and nobody but Apple supports it. Sure, it's cute and tiny and takes up a lot less space than a normal VGA plug. But it means that until I get the adaptor from an Apple Store, I still can't use my computer.
So, uh, stay tuned on that one. Not sure if I can find one of those in Cairo.
Other than that, I'm doing fine. I quit my diet. Basically, my rule is this: when my computer gets destroyed, I get to eat whatever the heck I want if it makes me feel better. I got chocolate, hotdogs, bread, pickles, and potato chips and they did help me calm down a bit. Strange comfort food, I know.
But don't worry, I won't break my computer ever time I want to quit my diet; I'll just quit my diet. Really. I have nothing to prove.
From now on I'm going to be a lot more protective of my computers. Promise.
UPDATE: So I called a local Apple Store, and they said that a Mini-VGA cable will cost me 600LE, or around $120. Another place said they will only charge 390LE, or around $75. Either way, this is a lot of money to pay for a tiny retarded cable that costs

3 comments:

Heena Reiter said...

WJ: The initiation of a healthy and positive endeavor is *often* followed by a visit from the one the Native People call, "The Trickster." The job of the trickster is to throw a monkey wrench into the works, in order to wreck the new endeavor. It is a test. It is a test of resolve and fortitude. It is not only a test. It is also a perfectly designed obstacle.

Think of someone pulling a rug out from under you. If you see what's happening and move quickly to regain your balance, you can stay on your feet. In the case of the Trickster, if you sustain your commitment, the Trickster withdraws, at least temporarily, and your original commitment is fortified and enhanced. When you give up and abandon your new and positive undertaking, the Trickster is delighted. You are on the floor, on your butt, cursing and yelling and waving your fist at the universe and he has prevailed.

If you do not abandon your intentions, and meet the trickster with wisdom, patience and humor, you prevail. You gain knowledge, strength and personal mastery.

Don't be fooled by the difficulties life hands you into abandoning your positive intentions. You will only need to start again anyway, because ultimately, the Trickster is a teacher who wants you to prevail and will return again and again and again.

Toby said...

Mine came with the little cable dongle. Are you sure you don't have one somewhere? This reminds me to start hunting for mine...just in case.

Unknown said...

Jodan darling...sorry to hear of troubles...am a lazy bum having only just now gotten around to taking a peek at your charming blog. (Ever just look at the word "of" and say "Oh, Bother that cannot be the correct spelling"?)